Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Thanksgiving in Majuro and more

Pre Thanksgiving dinner at my house with Ruby and John  and family and some of my Marshallese friends L  to R Christian, Kalla, Daniel, Keo, Barron, John, Ruby, Randon, Alisha, Dilson, and Robbie
I thought it would be fun to have Thanksgiving dinner for Ruby and John and their family and also our Monday FHE group that gets together each Monday for dinner, lesson and activities. I served Turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy,sweet potato casserole, jello salad, carrot sticks and dip, rolls and pumpkin pie.  It was the first time that many of these kids had ever had Thanksgiving dinner.  They seemed to like the turkey and pumpkin pie  the best. John and Ruby and family are from Utah.  He is Marshallese and she is Tongan/Haole.  They just moved here from Utah so this is a new experience for them.  Most Marshallese people do not celebrate Thanksgiving.

Senior missionaries in the kitchen
         
Elders lined up to eat









The Senior missionaries worked hard to cook and prepare Thanksgiving dinner for 50 which included all the missionaries serving on Majuro.  I was in charge of a very large tossed green salad and I also helped make the pies.  We had a fun time.  President and Sister Weir were in Kiribati but we were able to have dinner at the mission home and so it was really nice.  Afterwards, we watched Ephraim's rescue which was really good.

Missionaries relaxing before dinner















Everyone had a great time.  After we watched Ephraim's rescue





Sister Huni










A bunch of my favorite Elders
Senior missionaries relaxing after the dinner has been served

My birthday fell on Thanksgiving day this year.  It was fun because I got to talk to all my kids and grandchildren.  They were all together in Las Vegas for dinner and it sounded like they had a wonderful time together, which made me really happy.  The senior sisters took me and Sister Barlow, whose birthday was on November 30th to lunch at tide table and then we went shopping for a little bit, well as much as you can shop in Majuro
After my birthday luncheon, senior sisters went shopping and ran into these















Cute Majuro girl



They all have to make the peace sign











Missionaries on P day

No comments: